The Life and Times of Kenzie

The Life and Times of Kenzie

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

7 Reasons Why Moving From Charlotte to Rexburg Was One of the Best Things I Did

Hey y'all! I'm really bad at keeping up with this blog. I've been missing home a lot. FHE just isn't the same without Hillard's silly games and going to Amile's with everyone afterwards. I miss going to work at Burlington and seeing all the adorable older women who love giving me advice. I miss hearing "RON! RON! RON!" I miss the weather. I miss the people. But for some reason, I don't regret coming here. Not even a little bit.
Moving to the other side of the country was the biggest leap of faith that I've ever taken. I had never stepped foot into Idaho. But I left what was familiar to follow what the Lord needed me to do. Isn't it funny how the plan works? We're stretched and pulled in different, uncomfortable directions so we can grow into amazing people.
Don't get me wrong. I do like it here. I've met new people and made a new friends. But it's more than that. Here's my list of why moving from a bigger city to a tiny town was one of the best things I did:
1. I've always been independent to a fault. I've always wanted to do things myself. Being forced to be away from my amazing mother has taught me more on how to be alone. Sorry to those at home, but I saw someone complain that they had to wait for their mom to bring them medicine when they were sick. I laughed! It's hard to be on your own and be sick away from home. But y'all. Learning to take care of yourself without your mom is important! (Thanks mama for not babying me)
2. I'm pretty outgoing, but I can be reserved sometimes. This move has made me come out of my shell even more. It's really awesome to see me become more adventurous.
3. I lost 10 pounds. Yep. Not sure if it's because I walk a lot, I'm not eating as much, there's no Bad Daddy's, or all encompassing. But it feels great!
4. There's a spirit here that I just couldn't get anywhere else. Every single one of my classes starts with a prayer. My Book of Mormon sang every morning and it really invited the spirit. The priesthood is around me all the time. I've had way more migraines this semester than normal. Like, 5. My last one was just last week and it took almost 2 days to recover. Someone in my public speaking class offered to give me a blessing after class. I don't think they understand how much that helped me. It's really comforting to know that anytime I need a blessing, I don't have to look to far.
5. I've learned a lot about other people and that where you come from really shapes you. Being around all walks of life helps me understand how to deal with people that are different than me. Sometimes it's really hard, but it'll be handy when I go on a mission.
6. BYUI has great programs and really focuses on the real world. My basic communication courses focus on what the industry wants right now. Also, our class sizes are equal to Hopewell's. I have one class in a lecture hall full of people, but it's a class that has guest speakers from the communications department. They come in and talk about their emphasis (advertising, PR, visual media, journalism, etc.).
7. Everyone is friendly and it's a lot easier to make friends with someone that has the same beliefs as you. I can walk home after a tough day, and someone for sure will smile at me and ask how I am. The only thing that they don't do is wave from their cars. I've gotten a lot of weird looks from drivers because I still wave sometime. I can't break the habit!
Thanks y'all for all the prayers and interest in my life! I'm so blessed to have such amazing friends and family. I can't wait to see y'all around Christmas!

No comments: