The Life and Times of Kenzie

The Life and Times of Kenzie

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My Whole New World

Hey y'all! I've wanted to post for a while now, but college is already super busy! I'm trying hard to manage my time wisely.
So, for those of you who may be out of the loop, I'm now at BYU-Idaho. I left last Wednesday and got into Salt Lake City kind of late that night. I was so fortunate enough to have my mom and aunt Andrea with me as I navigated through WalMart, Target, and the campus. I was also blessed to be able to visit Temple Square before we headed to Idaho Falls. WOW! The last time I was there, I was about 7 and it was just a weird situation. So I didn't really remember much.
Walking into the Conference Center, I immediately felt the spirit. I know that inspired men and women are called to be leaders of this true gospel. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet. I also couldn't help and think that I was standing in the same building as where Jeffrey R. Holland speaks. He's one of my favorite apostles. We also were able to go to the roof of the building. It was so gorgeous.
Another cool thing we did at Temple Square was go to one of the visitor centers. I'm not sure which one we went to, but we saw the original script of the Book of Mormon that Oliver Cowdery wrote! I read 2 Nephi 6: 5-6. It was so cool! And this semester I'm taking a Book of Mormon class, so it just made it extra special.
I think Temple Square and In-and-Out were the highlights of my trip up here :P  I know my mom already said something, but thank you to everyone who prayed for our safety! We were so close to having a huge accident. I know angels were there pushing, stopping, and moving cars out of the way.
So, I'm on my 3rd day of classes and it's going really well! I have gotten a little lost a couple of times, but I have a map and I just pray every morning that I can get to where I need to be. People weren't kidding about getting homework on the first day. But I have a lot of time between my classes, which is so awesome! I can go to the library and just finish my work. I could even go to the Taylor chapel, which is a gorgeous chapel in one of our buildings. I also feel more at peace because we start every class with a word of prayer. It's truly a spiritual experience. My Book of Mormon class sings Hymns and I honestly love it. The spirit just enters the room. I've learned so much and I know it's because the spirit is so strong on this campus! I've learned so much already about the Communications world and so much more about the Book of Mormon.
My apartment is so nice! I'm so spoiled! I have so much room and only 2 of us share a bathroom right now. I have a washer and dryer IN my apartment, which has been a huge blessing. I have 5 other roommates, but I share a room with one person. Her name is Sara and she's a freshman too. We are so similar! It's fun getting to know her and make many other friends. Sara knew one of the girls across the hall named Emma and she's super awesome too. I cannot leave out Sydney and Angie. They're all so special and make me feel welcome and at home.
Everyone I meet loves my accent! Y'all. I swear I didn't think I really had one until I got here. Everyone loves it and asks me to say certain words and they just laugh. "Oil? Where's the 'i'?" It's fun though. I'm glad people love my accent and Southern quirks. They think it's cute that I'm already freezing. I'm wearing books, jeans, a sweater, and a scarf as we speak! The high today is supposed to be like, 60. It's like, 80 in Charlotte! I guess I need to toughen up. Maybe the Lord is preparing me for a really cold mission...
Thanks y'all again for all the prayers! I miss my home and family so much, but I feel so blessed to have the courage to move all the way over here. I feel so blessed financially with scholarships and working all summer. I know the Lord's hand is in all things. I'll keep y'all posted!

No comments: