The Life and Times of Kenzie

The Life and Times of Kenzie

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Putting On the Armor of God: Surviving High School

Hey y'all! I figured since school is about to start here in NC, I'd give some of my own advice on how to survive high school, especially as a LDS teenager in a sea of non-believers. I know that I'm not much older than those in high school, but I think that I can offer some good tips because I was just there not too long ago ;) I think this will also be awesome for any parents who have kids in high school, or will in the future.
1. GO TO SEMINARY! I know that it can be REALLY hard! Mine started at 5:55 am. That's really early. I had to wake up at 4:30 in order to make it on time. My senior year I really slacked on being on time. So don't let that happen to you. You may feel like you're not learning anything, but I promise you will remember this stuff in Sunday School. In fact, today I recalled a story from the Old Testament in my Gospel Doctrine class. Who knew!? I though for sure this past year I didn't get anything out of it. Also, when you go to seminary, things fall into place. You have the spirit with you. I remember my junior year, I was so beyond stressed. I would some days sit in my car and just cry because I couldn't do it all. But I noticed that when I started going to seminary with a purpose, things worked out for me. I was able to get my homework done, or my teacher would say "I'll collect it tomorrow." My biggest gain from seminary was also the gift of retaining knowledge. Up until my junior year, I never had to study. Chemistry and AP Stat humbled me so quick! I thought for sure I wasn't going to pass either class. I ended up with an A in Chemistry and a B in AP Stat. To make this long story short, seminary brings blessings. Go with a purpose, even when the underclassmen annoy you or you're too tired to function.
2. PRAY! Seriously, Heavenly Father wants to help you. He wants you to succeed. I noticed that I did better in school when I prayed for His plan. Noticed what I said there? HIS plan. Not yours or mine or your parents. Yup. That's right. (Though, you should take advice from your parents because they know more than you by a land slide.) And sometimes what you think is right for you, isn't. I know, that's a really hard lesson to learn. But I know that He will guide you. One thing I realized is that I did so much better on tests when I prayed before and after studying, and before my test. I asked that I could retain the knowledge and be able to show my efforts, but THY will be done. Another lesson I had to learn the hard way was that we all have to put in the effort and not just ask Him to deliver us all the time. Before my AP exam for Stats, I had a hard time studying the material. For some reason, I just didn't get it. Before long, I just kind of gave up. Well, the day of the test came and I prayed before, during, and after the test that I would pass and get the college credit. Nay nay my friends. I got a 1. The lowest you can get. I learned that I was too prideful and was being disobedient to what God asked of me. Do your part, and He will make up the rest. To end on a nice note, Christ feels for us. That's what the atonement is for. Pray that you will feel of that love and empathy. Pray that you will know the Lord's plan for you. I promise it will come to you.
3. FAST FOR BIG DECISIONS! Before I started my senior year of high school, I prayed and fasted that I would know what school to go to, and that I would be able to easily pick the school for me and know what to study. I applied to BYUI, LDSBC, BYU, and UNCC. I got into BYUI and UNCC. LDSBC basically said that I would be a better fit for a big university. With all of this acceptance, I was feeling so great! I thought, "My grades are super awesome! I'm really awesome! My family has gone to BYU and those people are inspired! I know that I'll get in." Well, I didn't. I got denied from BYU, my 1st choice. However, I'm grateful that I was denied. I mean, I did fast and pray that I would easily know where to go. I'm clearly supposed to go to BYUI. If I got accepted to BYU, I wouldn't have listened to the Lord. Don't let rejection and failure bring you down. Fast for big decisions like this. I know without a shadow of doubt that fasting works.
4. ELF DARK CIRCLE CORRECTOR! I know that's not really spiritual, but I thought I should throw that out there :P I wish I found this my freshman year.
5. STAND UP AND BE A VOICE! Oh my goodness guys, you can't stand on the fence anymore! It's time to pick a side and not idly stand by! I will never forget my sophomore English class. We had a class debate about 3 topics. One of them was on gay marriage (this wasn't legal at the time.) The church is clear about marriage and family. I had to decide right then that I would be a voice for The Family: A Proclamation to the World. I stood up there next to one of my classmates who had note cards with statistics. I literally had my own faith. I said that I try and be Christlike and love everyone, but the Lord is clear about marriage and that the Lord is the same today, tomorrow, and forever. He will not tailor to the world. People rolled their eyes at me, pointed at me, laughed at me, and hated me after that. The girl next to me even pointed a finger at me and said "You know, it's people like you that make gay people afraid or even kill themselves. You shouldn't hate someone just because they aren't Mormon. Not everyone thinks like you and you need to just accept the idea of gay marriage. It's not the 50's anymore." I literally wanted to cry. I had just said that I don't hate anyone, even if they do stuff I don't agree with. Y'all, I don't know if this will happen to you. But people will fight against you and you just have to keep going. Another quick story is that I had multiple classes that would show rated R movies without telling the class first. I got up and asked the teacher if I could go in an office. I promise teachers will be impressed with your strong feelings and respect it. I was so lucky to have teachers who would stand up for me when others would pick on me for not watching rated R movies, not drinking coffee or tea, etc. Christ only had a few followers and people were beyond mean to Him. He knows how you feel. I will always say this, rely on the atonement!
6. READ GENERAL CONFERENCE TALKS! Find your favorite one and read it when you're down. I always read Jeffrey R Holland's talk "An High Priest of Good Things to Come." You can find it in the Nov. 1999 Ensign. It's super awesome.
7. YOU CAN DO THIS! High school can be hard some days. But y'all, this is a great time in your life. Come unto Christ and let Him help you in times of troubles. I'm so grateful that I was able to have New Testament in seminary my freshman year. That was such a rough year and I couldn't have done it without my Savior.
I'd like to share a quick testimony that I know this gospel is true! I know that when we apply the gospel fully in our lives that we will receive blessings beyond measure.
If y'all want some non-church related advice, I have plenty of those too! Just let me know if you're interested in that :)

2 comments:

Bee Happy Stamper said...

Love this! ELF dark circle corrector...I'm going to look into that!

Mackenzie L. S. said...

Target has so many ELF products! I think the dark circle corrector is like, $3