The Life and Times of Kenzie

The Life and Times of Kenzie

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Some Big News

Being in this stage of life is really awesome. I feel like I have so many opportunities ahead of me. I can go down different paths and each one will bring me different blessings. Sometimes it can be overwhelming. However, I'm really grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ to guide me in this stage of life. I'm not sure where I would be without Him and his guidance. I'm also grateful that I'm going to BYUI, which is where the Lord wants me to be.
With following God's plan for me as the theme of this post, I have some news that I think I'm comfortable with sharing now. I have started my mission papers.
For those of you who aren't LDS, young men and women go out at ages 18 and 19 respectively and share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Young men leave for 2 years and young women for 18 months. I have no idea where I will go, and I don't get to pick. What the church does is they review your paperwork and they will decide where you go. It is completely inspiration from the Lord. I already feel that this process is divine. And very through. I plan on leaving January of 2017. This means I will be back July of 2018.
I know that many individuals who aren't LDS feel that it isn't safe, a bad idea, etc. I know for a fact that I will be safe. This whole paperwork process is very through. They ask plenty of medical questions, have professional physicians and such examine your overall health, and make sure if you take any kind of medication that you will have access to it. As for going back to college, there are thousands and thousands of missionaries serving right now. Colleges are used to LDS members going on missions. BYUI is also a church school, so they will be very supportive during the process and do everything they can to make sure I can return when I'm ready. It won't be that hard to come back to college and I'll be safe. Here's why.
You are on a very strict schedule. LDS missionaries are expected to wake up at the same time everyday, do personal and companion scripture study, go teach, set appointments, eat, and go to bed at the same time. This teaches discipline and work ethic. My high school boyfriend said that he is gaining a greater work ethic.
You study every single day. Sure, it isn't chemistry or algebra, but you're still deeply studying something. THE SCRIPTURES! And anyone who's read Isaiah knows that you really have to study them!
You are always with someone. The church is aware of the saying "safety in numbers." The church also will never send missionaries to an unsafe area. When the terrorist attacks happened in France back in 2015, the Church evacuated the missionaries. Whenever civil wars break out, missionaries are evacuated. In fact, when Ebola was breaking out in Africa, they got missionaries out of there! We had an elder in the Mountain Island ward who was assigned to Africa, but Ebola broke out so he was reassigned to North Carolina.
I will keep posting about my experiences! I appreciate y'all's thoughts and prayers as I'm preparing for college and a mission.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a big undertaking. Will pray for you♥

Bee Happy Stamper said...

So awesome!

Anne and Bob said...

I'm so excited for you! What a great launch into adulthood❣❣❣

The Connors Master said...

Woohoo! Here's hoping for Belem, Brazil. Anywhere you go would be lucky to have you. And you them. Very exciting.

Mackenzie L. S. said...

That would be really cool! There's a sister from my home ward serving in Brazil right now. She'll get back when I leave, so maybe we'll trade off ;)